We are committed to providing a good public library experience to all our patrons, regardless of ability level. If you ever need additional help with anything, please ask us!
Home Delivery Service
For patrons who are housebound due to prolonged illness or disability, or for seniors who lack transport, we offer a home delivery service. Books and audiobooks will be delivered to your home. Just phone us at 250-365-6611 and tell us what you like to read!
One of our librarians visits Castle Wood Village and Castleview Care Centre once a month with books and audiobooks for residents to check out.
Castlegar Library offers access to multiple collections of physical and digital items for people with print disabilities, also known as perceptual disabilities. This includes:
- Learning disabilities: an impairment relating to comprehension, such as dyslexia
- Physical disabilities: the inability to hold or manipulate a book
- Visual disabilities: severe or total impairment of sight or the inability to focus or move one’s eyes
In our physical collection, we have large print books, CD audiobooks, and DAISY disc audiobooks, along with lendable Victor readers that play CDs/DAISY discs.
Digitally, we offer access to Libby, NNELS, and CELA.
- Libby can be accessed through their app or their website, and they have built in accessibility features to change how their content is displayed. You can also find out how to use this service with a screen reader.
- NNELS is a Canadian library source for those with print disabilities. Once signed up, you can access their collection of books in MP3, DAISY, or physical formats.
- CELA is also a Canadian library source for those with print disabilities. Once signed up, you can access newspapers, magazines, and books in various audio, text, or braille formats.
Our building has automated entrance doors as well as a ramp up to our front door. Our basement level can be accessed by a platform/wheelchair lift.